Sunday, October 31, 2010

Loy Krathong Festival

I've finally settled down to do Thailand's 'Loy Krathong' Festival for my wallpaper after much research and thinking. There are so many festivals around the world but why did I choose this? Well, it first caught my attention when I read about Buddhist Festivals and Special Days on the net.

Loy Krathong Festival or Festival of Floating Bowls
At the end of the Kathin Festival season, when the rivers and canals are full of water, the Loy Krathong Festival takes place in all parts of Thailand on the full moon night of the Twelfth Lunar month. People bring bowls made of leaves (which contain flowers) candles and incense sticks, and float them in the water
mainly in rivers, canals, ponds and the sea. As they go, all bad luck is suppose to disappear. The traditional practice of Loy Krathong was meant to pay homage to the holy footprint of the Buddha on the beach of the Namada River in India.


Below are pictures of Loy Krathong Festival celebrated in Thailand:

This is not done by me.

Floating candle bowls on the river.

Lotus flower makes it even more beautiful.

Candle-lit lanterns in the water. BIG ONES!

Intricately folded banana leaves, in the shape of lotus petals.
So pretty and colourful!

There is a meaning of lotus flower in Buddhism.

In Buddhism, lotus flowers mean purity of speech, mind and body rising above the waters of desire and attachment. The lotus is one of the Eight Auspicious Symbols. Different colours of lotus are symbolically used to represent aspects of perfection. There are four colours , which are pink, blue, red and white.
  • Red represents the heart; it's purity, original nature, compassion, passion, love and other qualities.
  • White symbolizes spiritual perfection and complete mental purity.
  • Pink represents the Buddha and it's supreme lotus.
  • Blue means wisdom, knowledge and victory over senses.

So, this is what I'm going to do for my assignment 1 - festival wallpaper.
I'm still new to Photoshop but I will try and give my best shot.


Information source: http://www.buddhanet.net/festival.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment